The VCE English exam is probably one of the toughest exams out of all the VCE subject exams. Split into 3 essays, it is a HUGE 3 hours!
If you have a teen who is doing VCE English 3/4 (aka Year 12 English) in 2022 or 2023, here’s the breakdown of Section B of the dreaded exam.
What is it?
- An analytical essay comparing two texts studied during the year
What’s so hard about it?
- Juggling two texts so that they are discussed in equal length and depth
- Remembering enough quotes
- Accurately interpreting the prompt
What can we do to help our teens?
- Equip them so they have a good range of quotes to use for every theme and topic
- Practise interpreting prompts with them so that they are accurately decoding the question they need to answer
- Talk with them about the similarities and differences in themes and characters across the two texts: the more they can talk about it, the easier it is to write about it!
Too overwhelmed to help your teen? Contact us today and let’s chat about how we can help!