If you are studying Units 1 & 2 VCE English next year (aka Year 11 English), or your teen is going to, here are the changes you’ll need to know!
What is being dropped?
- The comparative essay
- The creative response
What’s being added?
- A personal essay in response to a text
- A more general writing task exploring a ‘framework’ of ideas, using a particular genre to achieve a specific purpose, targeted to a select audience
- The argument analysis task now includes an audio or audio visual text
What does that mean??
- Students will now have to ‘make personal connections’ to a text – this means a more reflective approach, requiring the student to demonstrate a personal connection between their lives/experiences to the ideas and themes in the text
- Students will also have to learn a wider range of text genres, and demonstrate an ability to craft these texts for specific aims and audiences
- Students will now have to analyse the delivery and persuasion of spoken texts (eg podcasts, interviews, debates) and audio-visual texts (eg tv segments, youtube videos, video ads)
Was this helpful? Make sure you subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss any updates on what’s happening in VCE English!